Monday, February 1, 2016

January 18, 2016

Hey everyone!  here is another hi from a misionary in Portugal!  This week was pretty great, we saw a bit more success which was motviating.  I am really learning to make goals and then fight to achieve them.  that is something President Amorim has really focused on and I know I will be able to apply all of this to the rest of my life to achieve great things!  How I am so grateful for this mission to be a school for life.  How to overcome challenges, keep your head up, and work hard!  Now as many of you know and have mentioned to me in cards my time as a full time missionary is in the final straight away till the finish line.  Any athlete knows that it is the last stretch where you give it your all so that is what I am promissing to do.  I know it will not be easy but to go home from a mission feeling happy and you did you best you NEED to have at least a great finish.  These next few weeks I will really work to putting my heart and soul in to this work.  I know that by doing this I will do what I was sent here to do and the Lord will be happy with my efforts.  Somtimes thinking now I get discouraged looking at other missionaries that came in at the same time as me, that appear to be having more success and more results.  These past weeks I have been working hard with the attitud, well now I need to work hard so I can beat them!  I am glad for the companionship of the Holy ghost that soon corrected my prideful behavior.  I was working hard with the wrong attitude.  In my personal studies this week I came across the scriprure in Romans 12 where the apostle paul is teaching trough and epistle about this subject that touched my heart very personally.

For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

Like a body has many parts all with very diferent but yet imporant functions we also are all part of the body of Christ.  We all play different roles and all have different capacities.  There is no glory or happiness or peace in comparing there is only pride, that is what I learned.  There is no reason to compare and eye with and ear because they were made wiht completely diferent purposes and comparison between the two would only bring argument and disagreement.  True happiness in living in a world surrounded by people who look like us is to compare our selves to no one but ourself.  Are you better today than yesterday? If not, why?  That is how we find true happiness and how we can realize true progression that truly only God can measure. This week I tried to take into account this message of Paul and it opened my eyes. I felt real happiness even when I wasn't succeeding and those around me were.  It is hard to do but being Christlike never really was easy.  Don't worry about how you measure up, this life isn't a race of who can get the the tree of life the fastest, strongest, best looking, or with the greatest house or car.  What matters is that we get there and we help those struggling get there as well.  Play your part the best you can and don't worry about how you measure up to the parts of others.  In the end, just like in the parable of the talents, the reward will be the same if we magnify our gifts and talents int he service of the Lord regardless of whether you brought back 10 talents or 6.  
SOrry kind of long!  But I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!!

Elder Eldredge

No comments:

Post a Comment